Product Review #2 - Heat N Bond Featherlite
HeatnBond FeatherLite and Appliqué
A couple of weeks ago Minky Bear and Me Fabrics asked me to product test HeatnBond FeatherLite. I must admit I haven’t really tried a lot of different products for iron on adhesives, I have just stuck with what worked the first time.
HeatnBond Featherlite is certainly Feather weight and once the paper is removed from the fabric, it is difficult to tell without touching the back of the fabric where the glue is. The instructions are very clear in its use, which is great. I use a lot of Applique in my designs. I like how it enables me to give each product it’s own personality !!
Here I am going to show you how I used the HeatnBond Featherlite to create Patch the Puppy.
1. The HeatnBond Featherlite has a rough side (glue side) and a paper side. On the Paper side of the HeatnBond FeatherLite I trace by Templates for Patch the Puppy’s paws, tail and eyes. This enables me to cut the templates out of the HeatnBond Featherlite and to have very little wastage.
3. As you can see it is easy to then iron on the HeatnBond FeatherLite to the Fabric. The instructions state use a hot but NO steam setting for 20 seconds. Pressing not ironing. HINT: Make sure you iron your fabric first so you do not get creases in the fabric.
4. The applique templates have now been cut out. As always make sure your scissors are sharp, especially when you are cutting smaller shapes, otherwise you will have a lot of frayed edges.
5. To make Patch the Puppy I apply the Applique templates to the Puppy’s body which is Linen. You can see how easily the paper backing comes of and leaves the glue on the cotton fabric.
HINT: when trying to get the paper off smaller shapes use a pin to go between the paper and the fabric rather than fingers as it decreases the fraying.
6. These are Patch the Puppy’s Paws, Eye, Nose and Ears. Once you have positioned the Applique and peeled the paper off. PRESS the Applique into position, do not Iron as you risk moving the Applique’s position. Again Press for 20 seconds to set the Glue.
As I use Linen for Patch the Puppy‘s Body I use an old tea towel behind the Linen so the linen does not get stuck to the ironing board cover due to it’s broader weave.
7. Although the instructions state that the Appliques’ do not need to be sewn as well, I do as my products are for children and therefore the chance for frequent washes is VERY HIGH and I believe the machine stitching gives the item durability.
Here is the Completed Patch the Puppy !!
HeatnBond FeatherLite as a Product:
Would I recommend this product to others? Yes I would. I think it is certainly true to it’s name, very light and still allows easy flow of the fabric.
Am I happy to use this product again ? Yes I am, and I have here is a Bespoke Pillowcase I have made with HeatnBond Featherlite.
Any negatives? No, very happy with it’s versality with Applique.